The Heat is On
Santa Cruz is expected to broil this week as a heat wave moves into the Bay Area. Friday we broke a record with temperatures reaching as high as 110 degrees locally. Gee what could possibly go wrong here? The beaches are open. Everyone from over the hill is going to at least think about or attempt to come here. And the COVID numbers continue to spike. My advice to anyone living here is stay the hell away from the beach. You live here. You can go anytime. This weekend is not the right time.
Tyler Tenorio Murder Suspect Arrested in Mexico
A suspect in the murder of Tyler Tenorio who fled to Mexico has been arrested and extradited back to Santa Cruz to face the consequences. Paulo Luna, 34, was arrested in Mexico and extradited to Santa Cruz County on Monday. He was arrested with the help of the Santa Cruz District Attorney’s office, authorities in Mexico, United States Marshals, and INTERPOL, according to reports from the Santa Cruz County District Attorney’s Office. Luna is being held on murder charges, according to the DA’s Office. The Santa Cruz High school junior was stabbed to death near Chestnut and Laurel streets on October 16, 2009. Law enforcement said he and his friends got into a brief fight with another group outside the 7-Eleven store.
Downtown Wells Fargo Bank Robbed
Friday afternoon around 2PM, reports came in that the Wells Fargo on River Street in downtown Santa Cruz had been robbed. The suspect was described as a male with facial tattoos who passed one of the clerks a note. He left the bank in a red Mercedes headed along water Street towards Ocean Street. CHP reportedly later found a red Mercedes believed to be used in the robbery abandoned off Highway 17 near Glenwood Drive. Santa Cruz County sheriffs deputies eventually arrested the suspect near Laurel and Redtail Ridge. The 24 year old male was in possession of over $9,000 of stolen money. He’s also on parole (of course he is!) and police say the getaway car he drove was stolen from Mountain View. He was booked into Santa Cruz County Jail.
Felton Jerk Charged With Statutory Rape
Wednesday morning around 11:30AM, Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s deputies arrested a 20 year old male from Felton and charged him with 2 counts of domestic violence, 2 counts of statutory rape, possession of obscene material, and sending harmful matter to a minor to seduce. His bail was set at $50k and he didn’t get one of those Get Out of Jail Free cards. Last check he’s still in jail.
Getting Wilder Out at the Ranch
Wednesday around 6:30PM, SCPD responded along with deputies from the Santa Cruz Sheriff’s department for some kind of disturbance in Wilder Ranch State park. Apparently a 52 year old male thought it would be a good idea to resist arrest and try to take the Ranger’s weapon away. That poor decision led to his arrest.
Turnstiler of the Week
Wednesday morning around 1:30AM, SCPD arrested a 55 year old man on the 100 block of River Street for arson, assault with a deadly weapon, and making criminal threats. He’s been arrested 21 times locally since 2013. We’ve been propping this guy up for 7 years and counting. Look at this guy. He obviously suffers from mental illness and addiction and this is how the county treats those people. The county doesn’t treat them. They just arrest them and release them over and over, making them our problem. Last check he’s still in jail on a $25K bond, which I just can’t see him coming up with, unless Sheriff Jimmy decides to kick him to the curb yet again for nothing.
Just Another Bum With a Box Knife Threatening People
Wednesday afternoon around 3PM, SCPD responded to the 100 block of Bixby Street for a report of a man chasing after and threatening another person with a box cutter knife. He eventually was caught and charged with assault with a deadly weapon, as well as trespassing and occupying a property without the owner’s consent. He’s still in jail on a 25K bond.
Flea Market Approach to Boardwalk Shut Down
This week, the city of Santa Cruz announced vendors outside of the boardwalk are prohibited due to COVID-19 concerns. Vendors will be prohibited along Beach Street, West Cliff Drive or in the wharf area, according to a recent “executive order” signed by the city manager. This comes after the city council decided to allow vendors to set-up just about anywhere, but mostly on city streets. The order is set to expire October 1st.
COVID Keeps Spiking Locally
“Due to a significant and unresolved problem with the State of California’s CalREDIE reporting system, the County of Santa Cruz Public Health Department, as well as county public health departments statewide, are experiencing significant underreporting of COVID-19 testing results.”
So it’s actually worse than this.
The Field is Set
The field for the Santa Cruz city council election is set and it is made up of all women. Given that fact, I’m hoping that we’ll see a more civil race, without the excessive aggressive confrontational douchery we saw from Chris Krohn and Drew Glover. Glover has left town and moved to Alabama. I guess that’s far enough away. All I can say about him (and a special message to all the recall critics). Worth. Every. Fucking. Dime. Spent. Can you imagine if those 2 idiots were trying to navigate us through this pandemic mess? So while I might not be getting the candidates I really want, I’m not worried about really despising anyone running. Except of course for Bad Mom. I despise her but she’s irrelevant.
For future reference here, I’ll label each candidate with one of 4 labels:
- MMB: Moderate Machine Backed
- PMB: Progressive Machine Backed
- OTOLI: On The Outside Looking In
- GLFA: Grifter Looking For Attention
So here are some random thoughts, cheap shots, and bon mots:
- Martine Watkins (MMB): She’s not especially strong at anything but she’s pretty moderate about everything that matters. And she ran a (relatively) tight ship during meetings as mayor.
- Sandy Brown (PMB): If she’s at the top of their ticket, it’s a pretty weak and desperate field this time around. In her four years on the council, she’s proven herself to be not much more than a Krohn/Glover lackey. She’s a follower not a leader. She’s a willing progressive vote if you tell her how to vote. She’s a hot mess. She’s been a hot mess for 4 years. By herself, she talks a lot in circles (and gets lost), but she’s pretty harmless. She’s certainly less offensive when she’s not just rubber stamping Krohn or Glover’s bullshit.
- Sonja Brunner (MMB): Don’t know much but I’m learning. She’s part of the Downtown Association so I guess she supports local businesses and that’s a much needed voice. The machine obviously likes her. I think she would actually do fine. She seems smart, grounded, and in it for the right reasons.
- Kayla Kumar (PMB): I guess she’s part of the slate. She’s the development director of “Food, What?!”, a local non-profit. She’s also worked with Barrios Unidos, another local non-profit. So she’s part of the homeless industrial complex basically. She’s backed by the local socialist democrats.
- Maria Cadenas (OTOLI?): She’s solidly far left progressive in her views. She’s also endorsed by basically the whole Coonerty family. So it’s hard to say where she falls on the spectrum. Somewhere in the middle maybe? She’s also an Executive Director of a local non-profit. I’m seeing a pattern here.
- Kelsey Hill (PMB): She was an editor at City on a Hill Press, works for the Romero Institute. Endorsed by the fake Santa Cruz For Bernie group.
- Shebreh Kalantari-Johnson (MMB): This is what a moderate machine backed candidate looks like. Even Don Lane endorses her. She’s obviously solid and well liked by the mainstream “local influencers” and will bring their money and backing.
- Elizabeth K. Conlan (OTOLI): “Santa Cruz’s vibrancy comes from its people”. Vibrancy. Gag. Hard pass. We’re anything but “vibrant” right now. We’re a vibrant dumpster fire.
- Bad Mom (GLFA): Nope.
SCPD introduced their newest member this week. K9 “Arsen” is a 2 year old Belgian Malinois. He and his handler/partner just completed their 6 week training together. Arsen has specialized training in locating hidden people and apprehending them. Arsen comes to SCPD from the civilian world as a sport dog with a high level of obedience training. Arsen will be a fine addition to SCPD and added bonus, he’s not concerned about being politically correct. He only follows orders to protect. Love the dogs. You want to defund the police? Give me cops with dogs. For every cop who’s laid off or cut, give me a dog to replace them. With the right partners, you will be able to maintain public safety. And you don’t have to pay the dogs.
Manu For District 1 Supervisor
Anyone who reads me with any degree of regularity over the past 4 years knows how I feel about John Leopold. He’s gotta go. And Manu is the guy we need to replace him. If you love in the 1st District of Santa Cruz, please vote for Manu. We need change at the Board of Supervisors and Manu is a step in the right direction here. Notice the lack of “status quo machine” support. That’s the kind of stuff I like. And it came out recently that Manu is spanking little John Leopold in fundraising. Manu has raised over $75K for his campaign while last check Leopold had raised about $42K. Let’s get this done Santa Cruz! Time to send little Johnny into unplanned early retirement.
Get Your Swagger On!
I have swag! I’m working with Spreadshirt and have my own shop. I just put some basic products up to start with for now with the new logo. You can also click “Customize” and “Products” and pick from other products not currently available in my store. Contact me with any questions or issues. Nothing would make me happier than to see people out and about with my swag. I want photos! I’ve never asked for money, and I still plan to continue to do the Weekly Dump each week and make it available for free, without any paywall or ads or spam (or salary). Think of this as a way of donating to the effort and getting something back for your donation (I only make a few bucks on each item sold). I’d love to do more with Santa Mierda if I had the means to do so. This will help provide the means to do so. And it helps get the word out. The hell with the coronavirus, let’s make this viral. Being stuck inside is the perfect time for online shopping! I’ll love you long time if you buy my swag.
The Santa Mierda Podcast Network
Check Out Our Twitter Feed for More Mierda!
Be sure to check out and follow our Twitter feed for even more mierda! Even though the Dump only comes your way once a week, I try to post breaking news and updates on other days as well. So check us out and follow us on Twitter for even more updates about real time news in Santa Cruz you might not otherwise hear about.
Get The Dump Delivered Each Week!
Don’t forget you can sign up and have the Weekly Dump automatically delivered to your email each week! Just click that little box in the bottom right corner of any page that says “Follow the Weekly Dump!” and sign up! All we need is an email.